The Power Plant > The Repair Bay

Fixing weird colors on Windows Vista/7

(1/13) > >>

pichorra:
Well, nobody does this topic, so, i want create it.

If you are running windows vista/7 you must perceived the "Command & Conquer: Tiberian Dawn" and "Command & Conquer Red Alert 1" have colors problems on that operational system, the solution is bellow:

Command & Conquer Gold
This is an actual fix for the color issue, rather than the workarounds we've been forced to deal with so far. It's based on an identical fix for StarCraft by warlord_7. You need to be using Nyerguds's 1.06c r1f1 patch for this. Open Notepad and paste whichever one of these corresponds to the version of Windows 7 you're running:

32-bit:

--- Code: ---Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectDraw\Compatibility\Command & Conquer Gold]
"Flags"=hex:00,08,00,00
"Name"="C&C95.exe"
"ID"=hex:d5,83,dd,32

--- End code ---

64-bit:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DirectDraw\Compatibility\Command & Conquer Gold]
"Name"="C&C95.exe"
"ID"=hex:d5,83,dd,32

--- End code ---

File -> Save, choose "All Files" from the "Save As" type dropdown menu, and save it with the extension ".reg". Then, double click on the .reg file you made, confirm that you want to add the key, and give the game a try. The intro video may still have the wrong colors (this seems random, sometimes it's fine, usually it's not), but the game and the rest of the videos will be fine. If you have your wallpaper set to slide show, you'll still get messed up colors when your wallpaper changes. This will last until the end of any video that was playing, but will only cause a brief flicker in the actual game.

Red Alert 95

This is an actual fix for the color issue, rather than the workarounds we've been forced to deal with so far. It's based on an identical fix for StarCraft by warlord_7. You need to be using the v3.03e patch for this. Open Notepad and paste whichever one of these corresponds to the version of Windows 7 you're running:
32-bit:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectDraw\Compatibility\Command & Conquer Red Alert 95]
"Name"="ra95.dat"
"ID"=hex:cb,58,cb,36

--- End code ---

64-bit:

--- Code: ---
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DirectDraw\Compatibility\Command & Conquer Red Alert 95]
"Name"="ra95.dat"
"ID"=hex:cb,58,cb,36

--- End code ---

File -> Save, choose "All Files" from the "Save As" type dropdown menu, and save it with the extension ".reg". Then, double click on the .reg file you made, confirm that you want to add the key, and give the game a try. The intro video may still have the wrong colors (this seems random, sometimes it's fine, usually it's not), but the game and the rest of the videos will be fine. If you have your wallpaper set to slide show, you'll still get messed up colors when your wallpaper changes. This will last until the end of any video that was playing, but will only cause a brief flicker in the actual game.

(And for the record, no, I have no idea what that flag actually does or what others are available. I only got it from the StarCraft fix, which itself seems to have been based on existing SC fixes already in the registry. I've searched, but I can't find any information on these flags.)

Another way to "fixing" it (it is not a fix, it is a workarrond).

Simply download This file, extract into the game directory (remember, it is only compatible with C&C!), and run it. But i do not recomend doing it by this way, it is the more messy and the unsecure one, only do this if THE REG. FIX IS NOT WORKING!

[spellchecked by Nyerguds. And FYI, what this does is putting the game in a special DirectX compatibility mode ;)]

Nyerguds:
Nice batch file, though for later-than-XP systems (on which this bug is most common), you better use Win98 compat mode.

Irony:
It's down to when another application grabs focus (even for a millisecond) it will overwrite the current pallet with the windows standard 4-bit pallet.

This could be fixed with one of two ways:

1. C&C could frequently reload the pallet (Not sure about the feasibility of this, Considering it'd probably need re-initializing of the DDraw object. and that DEP would stop any direct memory writes to that area)

2. There's the

HKCU/Control Panel/Desktop/ForegroundLockTimeout=0xFFFFFFFF

Which may work. But affects all of windows (basically sets an amount of time that has to be waited before an application can steal focus).

Someone who has the issue a lot should test to see if option 2 works with C&C

Nyerguds:
Actually, the problem persists in C&C through several palette changes. Every video load, switch between theaters, main menu, they're all different palettes. They all get corrupted right away.

pichorra:
but, compatible with Windows 98/ME is

--- Quote ---set __COMPAT_LAYER=Win98

--- End quote ---
or

--- Quote ---set __COMPAT_LAYER=Win98/ME

--- End quote ---
???

[Edit] The game who is called "Worms Armageddon" uses palletes too, and the 1° options solution don't work to him, but for cnc works :huh: i will implement this game on my batch file :p

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version