OpenRA Release 20130514
May 14, 2013, 05:16:52 pm by Matt
Today we're announcing our long-overdue "Mammoth May Madness" release.
In the last 7 months, 26 authors have contributed more than 1,100 individual changes and improvements.
Some of the highlights in this release include:
- Significantly improved AI.
- UI improvements to the menus and lobby.
- New UI for replays, spectators and defeated players.
- New construction radius limits for C&C and D2K.
- Repairable bridges.
- Desert theater for RA.
- Left-click mouse controls (beta).
- 5 new missions for RA.
- 20 new multiplayer maps across all three mods.
- Significant balance improvements across all three mods.
- More bugfixes than you can shake a tesla coil at.
A Composite screenshot showing the new lobby tooltips and player color selector in the Dune 2000 mod
The Red Alert mod includes a new main menu and desert-themed shellmap.
The C&C and D2K mods now require buildings to be constructed near a construction yard, reducing the effectiveness of multiple-building-queue base-walking strategies.
Bridges can now be repaired by sending an engineer into the rubble.
Head to the Official Website or Desura to download.
CnCNet 5 update!
April 23, 2013, 07:07:11 pm by Tore
Hello there. I thought I'd drop this message about CnCNet 5 in here.
It has been a long time since the last news post. I felt it was time to post some progress updates even though they are not *mine* exactly.
The next version of CnCNet as has been stated before requires modified game binaries. These binaries for TD and RA are on the way. The RA version is getting along nicely with Iran fixing some remaining issues and adding new interesting features. The TD version still has too many issues to be usable. TS version is not yet started and will probably not be until CnCNet 5 is released with full RA support the very least and solely depends on the motivation of CCHyper. RA2 will most probably not be supported at all, sorry.
Some of the design ideas that were in the old thread have been revisited and it seems CnCNet 5 is going towards being fully IRC compatible and uses Westwood Chat like client program to operate.
FunkyFr3sh from the Red Alert community has worked hard on his (testing) CnCNet 5 client for RA. It is free to download right now and will provide valuable feedback about the modified RA binary so please play some games with it when you have the time. It provides some features the LAN lobby doesn't like selectable spawn points, predetermined teams, private rooms and much more.
There is no release date for CnCNet 5 and the work continues on its own pace whenever everyone participating has the time and interest.
Original topic: http://cnc-comm.com/community/index.php?topic=2296
PC Gamer looks back at Red Alert 1 using Irans patch.
February 10, 2013, 12:59:50 pm by Tore
PC Gamer recently posted a very small article describing why you should play Red Alert. With the article there was an accompanying video discussing various things that makes Red Alert a fun game even for todays standards with some inaccuracies here and there, but that can be looked passed. One of the cool parts of the video is that Tyler Wilde the author of the video and article opted to use Irans patch, although he used an older version.
Why you should play C&C: Red Alert 1
"C&C Classic Revolution" a mod for Red Alert The Aftermath
January 25, 2013, 08:55:11 pm by Tore
So you thought RA modding was dead? You thought that there was no RA mods around? Well think again! White has created an interesting mod for Red Alert using Arda called C&C Classic Revolution. This mod pits the US against the USSR against each other in a cold war gone hot scenario. The mod features gameplay that is different from what people are used to in RA with powerful infantry units, a new method of expanding and a lot more.
For more information and a link to download the mod check the forum topic.
PortableRA beta released!
January 05, 2013, 02:30:24 pm by Tore
PortableRA is a distribution of Red Alert 1 by Iran, here are some of the features:
- Comes with an easy to use installer
- Runs great on Windows 95 and later, Mac and Linux
- Completely no-CD, no need to have a random CD inserted
- Includes expansions and they can be enabled/disabled on the fly
- Comes with CnCNet for online play, lots of players on
- Uses CnC-DDraw to modernize the game's rendering system
- Is really easy to use, comes with a configuration tool and launcher
- Supports high game resolutions (even 3200x3200 works!)
- Has a fix for the 'out of sync' issue online after playing modded maps
- Allows you to play the Aftermath games with the build speed multiplier cap disabled
- Includes and supports all community non-code fixes and additions, such as small infantry
- Patched to integrate support for The Lost Files videos and extra, unreleased music tracks
- Comes with the latest unofficial patch to the game, ra303p-iran
- Completely online compatible with the version of the game used by online player (3.03)
- And MUCH more
This can be described as the most definite version of RA yet. RortableRA is filled with tweaks and features added by Iran (listed above)
Go download it at http://iran.cnc-comm.com/ra/.